Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Woohoo!!!

Here is where I say 'THANK YOU!' to Cynthia and Greg Leitich Smith. The last of my reviews are going to come from 3 of the 40 (yes, I said 40!) books they donated to my classroom collection!!! 


So how did this happen? Well, remember when I said they visited a couple of weeks ago? Cynthia then called our professor back and invited us over on our last day of class to eat, drink, and be merry. And that we did...wine, cheese, fruits and veggies, shrimp, cookies...it was awesome!


Then Cynthia and Greg told us the most awesome thing of all...they had 350 new, hardcover books that were taking up space in the attic and they were ours for the taking! I can't tell you how exciting it was to know that I could look through the stacks, see a book I loved, and take it...for free! I know some women have dreams like these for clothing or shoe giveaways, but I have mine about picture books.


When I asked Cynthia what brought on this altruism, she said that publishers always send out books to be reviewed by other authors. She is allowed to keep the copy, but doesn't really have much use for them. So they just sort of collect. While she has made other donations to libraries and shelters, after meeting us, she thought, "Why not give them directly to teachers?" She feels that especially in a recession, when teachers are strapped for cash, why not do her part to support us. I felt honored and so completely grateful.


So now I have two tote bags full of 40 brand-new picture books (did I mention they were hardcover???) to add to my library...multicultural, non-fiction, biography, you name it! There are few words to express my deep gratitude. Thank you for supporting us teachers.









No comments:

Post a Comment